Thursday, 5 June 2014

The Catherine Cardigan


Here's my newest knitting project, the Catherine cardigan. It's a rather nice longsleeved cardigan with a deep v-neck, four buttons at the waist, and a garter stitch collar and revers. I'm knitting it in Classic 5 ply in Poseidon from Bendigo Woolen Mills. It's actually a bit scratchy and splitty as it's a crepe yarn, but I loved the colour (and the price!).


The pattern is from this Patons knitting booklet, which I think was given to me by a friend who was clearing out some old vintage pattern books and magazines. From the look of the patterns, I imagine it's from the early to mid 50s, and they all have wonderful old-fashioned names, like 'Ursula' or 'Joyce'.

I've added the pattern for Catherine below, click on the pictures to see them much bigger. It's a very easy pattern to knit, as it's mostly plain knitting with alternating knit and purls on every fourth row. Unfortunately it only comes in a 34" bust, and although the deep v-neck should give some leeway, it does have extremely tight ribbing at the wrists. I'm actually thinking of re-knitting the sleeve I've just done and adding at least another 4 stitches at the wrist.

I've scanned the whole booklet so I'll post that soon.







No comments:

Post a Comment