Sunday, 9 February 2014

Why I Need to Do Some Sensible Sewing


A little while ago I was looking in my wardrobe and wondering why when I have so many clothes does it seem like I have nothing to wear? Then I read this post at By Gum By Golly and realised what was wrong.

As you can see above, almost everything in my wardrobe is patterned. I've got spots (a lot of spots), checks, florals and leopard print, not to mention a lot of other novelty patterned items. Which is fine, I love patterns. The problem is that I don't have any plain things to wear them with.


For example, shirts. I've taken to wearing shirt more over the past year as they are a bit more demure for work and I love a shirt paired with a gathered skirt and a tight, wide belt. And these are my shirts - tiny horseshoes, checks, skulls, spots and leopard print. I also have black with cherries and a bright Hawaiian print. Not one plain shirt amongst them. This would be fine if all my skirts were in plain colours, but apart from a nice black wool pencil skirt for winter and a teal pencil skirt that I'm wearing to death, all my skirts are patterned.

This means I end up with things that only go with one other item, and that gets boring. I like the flexibility of a mix-and-match wardrobe but at the moment I've got a few things that I love but have nothing to go with them.

The upshot of this is that I need to do some Sensible Sewing. For starters I could do with:
  • a black voile shirt
  • a black cotton dirndl skirt
  • a black denim pencil skirt
  • a blue denim pencil skirt (I've got one but it's getting really faded and ratty)
This is going to be my challenge for 2014 -  to sew some plain basics pieces that I can wear with several things. What do you think? Do you sew plain things or just buy them?

4 comments:

  1. This is so true! I always feel a bit bad when I buy plain black clothes, but then again, they're the only thing that lets me wear the really special pieces in my closet. That said, those are some pretty awesome patterns you've got going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this feeling :-D

    My current struggle is that I have a billion tops and blouses (not ALL me-made) and a lot of plain skirts - yet not many of them actually go together. How does this happen?! I thought I had solved the problem by making a bunch of plain skirts but theyre all obv the wrong colours haha. You know how I like bright stuff! Which means all these bright separates are too much of the wrong brightness to go together. And you know how you can't really pair different temperatures of green together - well, I have a lot of green stuff.


    Anywhoo - yeh - its a problem. And making plain stuff isn't so bad. It gives great cuts and details that would otherwise get lost in prints a place to shine. You could make some skirts with interesting seaming or lots of gores. The voile shirt you could add things like gathers or tucks etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love green but I hardly have anything in that colour, I think it's because I have so much red in my wardrobe, don't want to accidentally look like Christmas! I'd like to make some plain coloured separates too, but good tip about trying to match them with other things. I like the idea of lots of a skirt with lots of gores, that would make things much more interesting.

      Delete